Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 26 - 26 January 2012, Australia Day

Hello!

Today is Australia Day. I spent the morning at a Citizenship ceremony, which I think is one of the absolute best ways to spend some time on Australia Day. I welcomed some of our newest citizens and celebrated our national day with them. I love citizenship ceremonies, they are quite emotional, such a big step to pledge allegiance to your new country, your new home! We sang the national anthem (Advance Australia Fair) and we sang the national song (We Are Australian). I don't know what it is, but every time I sing We Are Australian at official events, I get all choked up and teary, so bad that I then can't sing! It is so moving. For those of you who don't know this song, the chorus is this:

We are one, but we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We share a dream, and sing with one voice
I am, you are, we are Australian

For those of you who want to hear it sung, it is on YouTube, sung by the Seekers (one of whom wrote it).

Anyway, today's photo is of the plate of food the organisers of the event sent me home with. I couldn't take photos at the event, because I had my hands full with other things I had to do. :-)
Missing from this plate are lamingtons (because they were all eaten) and lots of other yummy food. I could only take so much with me, LOL!  Pictured here are: light fruit cake, date loaf, raspberry coconut slice, pumpkin scones and jam, frangipani pie (pineapple and meringue tart), and some very strange cupcakes with maltesers on top. All except the cupcakes are very traditional Aussie morning tea items. The flag was already there, I didn't plant it for the photo. 

Happy Australia Day!

:-)
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment